This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Custom Edit Form Support (Field Not Found)

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Hello,

Although I have seen you mention support for Custom Edit Forms (Built in SharePoint Designer). I can't seem to get it to work.

I added in the debug call and get the following message:

GetSPField: Unable to find a SPField named Title (or whatever field I am trying to view, hide, etc.)

I've tried simple text fields and surprisingly it would work when I used the default NewForm for another list.  So I believe my syntax and libraries are setup correctly.  I am not using InfoPath.

Version Information Below:

SharePoint MOSS 2007

Latest Prototype.js & Utility.js

Is there any insight into this issue?

Thank You

Coordinator
Jul 31, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Hey LetsSharePoints,

Unfortunately, SPUtility.js does not currently support custom edit forms... it will only work on the out of the box forms. 

If you are willing to do a bit of coding to get it to work you can look at how I get/set the different field types. Then, you could probably write your own little script pretty easily. 

Sorry if this was confusing on the front page. Anywho, I've created a new issue for this: http://sputility.codeplex.com/workitem/11. I'll take a look and see how much effort it will take.

Thanks,

Kit

Coordinator
Jul 31, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Well... some good news and some bad news.

It looks like for some of the fields, I could change how SPUtility.js gets the fields fairly easily and support custom edit forms... at least partially.

However, for some fields (like Choice fields) there is no identifying information in the HTML besides the Field Label (the text in the NOBR tag) to support looking the field up by name.

What kind of operations are you wanting to do on the custom form? Purely get/set? Everything?

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Hello,

Thanks for looking into that.  I was planning on using all 3 methods, but primarily, I was going to use the tool for the (Read-Only) and (Hide).  However, I could also just delete the field in the custom form and eliminate the field to replace the Hide function.

It looks like both of those used the GetSPField function...

Also, as far as the types of fields, they are going to be mainly texts, choices (drop-down), and some lookup fields.

Thanks again!