This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Using GetValue() with a customized form field table cell

May 12, 2014 at 8:35 PM
Hi,

I have a standard out of the box form that uses jQuery to prepend a span element to each table cell on the form that contains a SP choice field (radio buttons) when the page loads. I do this so that [descriptional] text appears above each field, instead of below each field (like the default field description text does).

I noticed that when I use GetSPField.GetValue() or GetSPFieldByInternalName.GetValue() to get the values from these [choice] fields, that the value always comes back as null. However, if I don't prepend the span, the value is successfully returned. Is this possibly because the SPUtility.js code is grabbing the first child within the form field's table cell?
May 13, 2014 at 2:19 AM
Edited May 13, 2014 at 2:19 AM
lostdreamz,
You are correct, it uses the first child span as the "Controls" property in most of the fields.

Line 405 in https://github.com/kitmenke/sputility/blob/master/src/sputility.js:
this.Controls = $(fieldParams.controlsCell).children()[0];

I think if you let SPUtility load first, call GetSPField or GetSPFieldByInternalName to get a reference to the field, and then add the span element to each table cell then everything should work ok.
Thanks,
Kit